Tuesday 14 December 2010

Supercosy Baby Hat

 Please note: this pattern is now available to download as a pdf from Craftsy for $2. It will still be freely available on this blog, but I thought people might want the opportunity to download a pdf version.

Cute cabled baby beanie to keep tiny heads warm this winter!

supercosy baby hat by littletheorem

Yarn : Garnstudio DROPS Nepal. Less than one 50g ball (= 75m). 

Needles : Four 5mm/US 8 dpns

Gauge: 17 stitches = 4'' in stocking stitch.

Size: Newborn - 1 year (it's very stretchy!). 10'' circumference, 5'' high.

Notation: 
k = knit
p = purl
CO = cast on
k2tog = knit two stitches together
p2tog = purl two stitches together
sl = slip
wyib = with yarn held to back of work
RT = right twist = k2tog without slipping stitches off the left
needle, knit into first stitch again, then slip both stitches off left hand needle

free cabled baby hat pattern

Directions
Cable Pattern:
Row 1: *p2, k2, p2, k1* to end
Row 2: *p2, k2, p2, sl1 wyib* to end
Row 3: *p2, RT, p2, k1* to end
Row 4: *p2, k2, p2, sl1 wyib* to end

CO 49 stitches over three dpns. Join in the round and work in Cable Pattern until hat measures 4.5'' ending with row 4 of pattern.  Now decrease as follows:

Row 1:*p2tog, k2, p2, k1* to end
Row 2: *p1, k2, p2, sl1 wyib* to end
Row 3: * p1, RT, p2tog, k1* to end
Row 4: *p1, k2, p1, sl1 wyib* to end
Row 5: *k2tog, k1, p1, k1* to end
Row 6: *k2, p1, sl1 wyib* to end
Row 7: *RT, k2tog* to end
Row 8: *k2, sl1 wyib* to end
Row 9: knit
Row 10: *k2tog* to end

Cut the yarn leaving a 6'' tail. thread remaining stitches onto the tail, pull tight and secure inside the hat. Weave in ends and top with a pompom if desired!

18 comments:

  1. Supercosy Baby Hat have a unique designing which look beautiful and attractive. These hats are best for the baby to keep their tiny heads warm in winter. It not only protect baby from cold but also prom ear pollution.
    toddler bibs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, can I please ask you if the pattern has been tested.
    Everything works out till I get to the decrease part, then stitches don't correspond anymore and so the pattern doesn't work out till the end.
    Thank you very much for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm so sorry about this. The first row of the decreases should read:
      "Row 1:*p2tog k2 p2 k1* to end"

      I'm just going to change it now...

      Delete
  3. HEY , I'VE JUST FINISHED KNITTING THIS LITTLE HAT AND IT HAS COME OUT REALLY GORGEOUS IN DROPS ALASKA MARINE BLUE.
    IT MATCHES PERFECTLY WITH THE LITTLE BOY'S JACKET.
    THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR PATTERN :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I'm so glad! Thank you so much for letting me know! :D

      Delete
    2. Where can I find the matching little boy's jacket pattern?

      Delete
    3. Hi, really sorry but I don't actually publish a matching jacket pattern. I'm not 100% sure, but I assumed that the original poster had knitted this hat up and it matched the boy she knitted it for's jacket.

      Delete
  4. Question. In the second cable row. SL wyib. Do you sl the stitch as If to knit or to pearl... (New to knitting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can this be done on Loom? Plus, how do u slip stitch? I probably know it, but not sure. I know cables on Loom are just removing stitchaikovsky, twisting and placing on next peg left to right and right to left I believe. Please let me know. Has for K2tog is wrap two and knit right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can this be done on Loom? Plus, how do u slip stitch? I probably know it, but not sure. I know cables on Loom are just removing stitchaikovsky, twisting and placing on next peg left to right and right to left I believe. Please let me know. Has for K2tog is wrap two and knit right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, really sorry but I have no idea! I've never done any loom knitting in my life I'm afraid. There are lots of loom knitting groups on Ravelry, they might be able to help you!

      Delete
  7. I've made this little hat before and was afraid I'd lost the pattern forever when my computer crashed. I'm thrilled to have found it once again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any idea how many stitches to add for say Toddlers and children sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. you will be able to enjoy the soft touch of modern wool on your head with its detailing in the buttons and pom pom at the top. Yhao hats Manufacturers are focused on making sure that these bobble hats are all to modern standards so that everyone can enjoy the right design that is so popular for women these days. Custom bobble hats

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I don't have the needles : Four 5mm/US 8 dpns and what ply yarn is the pattern called for Please explain. Marge

    ReplyDelete
  11. Given article is very helpful and very useful for my admin, and pardon me permission to share articles here hopefully helped :

    Obat Radang Panggul Yang Ampuh

    ReplyDelete